A face-balanced putter is one that is flat and parallel to the ground. It is so balanced that you can put it on your index finger and you will see that its face is pointing up to the sky. It is highly favored by golfers who want to do their putts with a straight-back-and-through approach.
The face-balanced putter has a flat face, and it is parallel to the ground. Usually, these things have fixed putters appended to the shaft. What this does is it prevents the putter from rotating as you execute the stroke.
The Benefits of Faced-Balanced Putters
Here are some of the benefits of using a faced-balanced putter.
- The face-balanced putter stays parallel instead of moving at an angle. As such, it is best used by putters who want their stroke to be straight-backed and straight-through.
- The center of gravity of a face-balanced putter in relation to its shaft makes it so that the putter does not open and close too much so as to affect the putter’s face direction upon impact.
- This kind of putter is best used for straight to straight stroked. What this means is that the ball has to be hit with no arc.
Callaway Golf O-Works Series Face Balance Putter
This putter is part of the O-Works series from Callaway. For this particular one, it is called the Blade model. Priced between $179 and above $300, here are some notes about the product.
- Has a micro-hinge technology that gains top spin and roll impact regardless of stroke type
- Made of stainless steel and thermoplastic elastomer materials
- Has high contrast alignment technology that provides visual support through the linear design, thereby allowing the putter to see the proper face position for impact
- Has insert technology that helps promote forward roll upon impact to the ball
- Has evenly distributed weight that provides a consistent feel
- Uses premium no-taper super stroke grip
- There is stitching at the back of the Super Stroke grip. Some golfers may find this uncomfortable and can affect stroke performance.
Taylor Made Spider Face Balanced Putter
This one comes from a brand that is widely known in the golf industry. This particular model is used by top golf players in the world such as Jason Day and Dustin Johnson. This one is priced between $170 and $600.
- Has a modern mallet head design
- Weighs only 360 grams and allows for 70 degrees line angle
- Has a proprietary Pure Roll Insert technology.
- Has adjustable weights to produce the perfect face balance
- Has significant backspin reduction that provides a truer roll
Does not work best for longer putts
Odyssey Men’s Works 7 Versa Putter
Odyssey is one of the leading manufacturers of putters in the world. As of today, the Works 7 is by far one of its best inventions. With a price range of $170 to $270, this face balanced putter should be part of your golfing arsenal.
- Has a Fusion RX Insert—the most sought-after insert in the golf industry.
- High Contrast Alignment to show the golfer the proper face angle
- Has different colors in terms of the Super Strike 3.0 Grip
- Made of ultra-thin stainless steel
- Best used for straight-back-to-forward strokes
- Sturdy club with proper weight distribution
- Club stays low upon impact
- Has the appropriate weight but also produces the blade feel
- 3.0 Grip may be too large for some to handle
If your stroke is best served by the face-balanced putter, then you must buy one to improve your golf scores, especially when closing that ten-foot birdie. But despite your stroke preference, you should still have a face-balanced putter in your reserve as you will never know if you come across a situation that calls for this kind of putter.